View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
But the size of everything in LA is bigger, I guess CBD notwithstanding. I'd expect the suburban employment clusters to be larger in LA than most other places, because LA and its metro area of nearly 20 million people, is larger than every other area in the US outside of NYC.

I'd be very curious to see an analysis like homebucket is describing. Just thinking about it, I'm wondering what the top 3 employment clusters in metro LA are. How concentrated does an area have to be to count as a cluster?
It's not just employment though.
They're activity centers, for lack of a better word.
Anaheim and Newport Beach/Laguna arn't really employment centers.
They're just popular draws that most metros don't have. It takes more people away from la or downtown etc. And when you add in employment centers like Irvine, it's just more shit. You can say other cities have something similar, and it's kinda true but it kind of isn't.

What in Chicago or dc draws people to their suburbs? Not much. Tysons? Reston? Malls?
To me, this more the norm for other cities than la's stuff.
Universal studios/city walk is in the city limits and 7 miles from downtown. No matter what you think of Hollywood, it's still popular and not many cities have something like that.

Last edited by LA21st; Feb 25, 2020 at 9:29 PM.