View Single Post
Old Posted May 24, 2019, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
Working backwards in your logic: I absolutely agree that more jobs downtown is good for all neighorhoods connected to downtown, including many of the depopulating areas of the south side. This is why I think allowing office space at Lincoln Yards is a terrible idea, it's the equivalent of Sears moving to Hoffman Estates so the executives who drove it into the ground could be closer to their homes and golf courses for a few years.

I don't see how that has anything to do with allowing more 3 flats in Ravenswood or Old Irving Park or whatever - are you saying that hypothetical companies would actually say, "shoot I won't locate employees downtown because the north side is 10% more expensive than it should be, if only the city had allowed more infill 3-flats?" Remember also that the Blue, Brown, and Red Lines are all practically at the capacity of the current infrastructure - Red Purple Modernization will add a bit on the north lakefront. But otherwise accomodating far more downtown commuters in the north and northwest sides of the city would require hundreds of millions for new power, signalling, and more railcars, and yards to store those railcars, etc. Meanwhile trains are running half full from the south and west...

See above re: Lincoln Yards.

I don't buy that there would be less employment. It's possible there could be slightly less total population in the city, but the regional effects are nil (i.e. there may be some number of people on the margins who, instead of living in the far northwest side, end up living in Niles or Skokie or Des Plaines etc. instead). In my previous post I stated that I support lots of dense mixed-use development in the Central Area - this is the one part of town that I think isn't "zero sum", because I do think a better and more dynamic downtown truly does unlock economic potential (agglomeration effects, tourism, etc.). I just don't see how whether or not we're allowing more 3-flats in Albany Park or Belmont Cragin will seriously impact the economic future of the city.

Dude - I don't mean to sound condescending, but do you ride through these areas? The current market demand (rent, housing prices) in many of these areas is so low that there's minimal economic incentive to invest in any upkeep or improvement of properties. These areas are surviving on a mix of Section 8 vouchers for rentals (which are high enough to at least keep properties livable) and long-time owners who are basically stuck and have a lot sunk costs. Existing housing on existing streets with existing infrastructure is just withering away and getting demolished bit by bit due to a complete lack of demand to live in these areas. Anyone unlucky enough to own a commercial property has either let the city seize it (and now it's off the tax rolls) or has neglected and/or demolished their building to lower the carrying burden of the property tax. If they were lucky, they were able to sell it to a storefront church before it dilapidated to the point of condemnation - of course, it's still off the tax rolls now, but at least the building still exists.

A little gentrification is the best possible thing that could happen to these areas. There's no good reason Englewood can't again be a desirable location, with superlative transportation access and decent bones (though said bones are disappearing bit by bit each year). There are even still some cool old Victorians there, but again, there's a few less of them each year...

I fail to see how it is in my interest, or the interest of any south side property owner, to make the north or northwest sides more affordable and reduce demand to live in our neighborhoods. Mind you, I lived in the north side for about 10 years and still own a condo there; I do care about the neighborhoods, and I'm broadly pro-development, but moving back south has changed my macro-level view on this.

Sounds like that young, professional couple needs to learn the life lesson that nice things cost more than not-nice things and that perhaps they have to make some adult decisions involving trade-offs and values of what is most important to them.

If I had the choice to live in the same type of house with the same basic neighbors and same basic commute that I currently do, but on the north side, I would do it in a heartbeat. But I'm also at a point where minding my expenses is important to me and I made a trade-off decision to live south, because achieving all of the above would be like, at least 3 times more expensive in a northerly direction. (Westward was also a consideration, but I have more legacy ties southward). But all that means that I helped maintain the market and set comps for housing in my neighborhood, means I contribute to the local tax base and patronize local businesses, etc. The north side being expensive is a good thing for me.
The heart of the issue is that the people of Chicago are completely split as to what they want. Also, some who aren't able to get a place in the North side opt for leaving the city altogether as opposed to being a gentrifier. Upzoning the North side has really nothing to do with attracting young professionals. The North side is flat out boring for people my age, who much prefer the West side.

Lincoln Yards is aiming to give the death blow to places like Winnetka, full of families who wouldn't enter a gentrifying neighborhood if you paid them, but who would seriously consider Lincoln Park over a suburb.

Then, you have Hispanics who are competing for apartments against young professionals, and are revolting against rising rents and being forced to relocate, especially if it's to the South side.

Then you have some South siders themselves who want guaranteed access to good schools and safe neighborhoods, as opposed for waiting for those neighborhoods to improve.

I highly suspect that Chicago is going to compromise on the issue. They're going to upzone the South side and only upzone affordable housing on the North.