View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 2:31 AM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer_spe View Post
Most of what we like in North America that is Chinese food is actually not from China. It is a product of the immigrants making a living here buy opening a restaurant.
Yeah, that's not exactly a news flash. And it has nothing to do with your contention that all ethnic food features widely varied interpretations of individual dishes, something that may or may not be true when it comes to Ukrainian grandmothers, but is definitely not the case with the cuisines of Asia.

Or places like Italy. France. And even Mexico. There's practically no variation on the Mexico City classic al pastor taco regardless of where you have it, as the ingredients giving it its distinctive taste don't change: stringy pork, pineapple, raw onion, cilantro, salsa and lime in a flour taco. The ones I've had in Toronto, Mexico City and even Waterloo (The Cactus) all tasted the same.

Actually, Canadianized Chinese food all tastes the same too, when you come to think of it. The chicken balls in goopy sweet'n'sour sauce you get here in Stratford tastes the same as what you get in any of a hundred small southern Ontario towns, not to mention Winnipeg, several places in Saskatchewan where I've had it, and I'm going to guess pretty much everywhere else in Canada.

There's a template. You follow it.