View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 7, 2014, 7:19 PM
She needs her space

Quote:
Originally Posted by (four 0 four) View Post
Interesting. I've lived here since before the tower was built and never heard this before...where did you get this info? The existing roof has HVAC equipment, elevator penthouses, antennas, etc. and would require quite a design redo if enclosed floors were in that space.
The only major change I recall is originally every band of the crown was to be covered with gold and that obviously didn't occur. I think the crown would look much better with this completed and I'm still willling to chip in to make it happen.
I actually heard the opposite - nothing about the crown, but that there were only going to be ~50 floors and they raised it to 55, hence the setback up there. I don't think there were ever going to be so many floors that what is crown now would have been office space, though that would have been my preference, with a crown on top of THAT.

I think the building looks immense in person, especially from certain angles and right up close (it "appears" more like a 60-70 floor building), however, it's not structurally that tall if you consider that the top (55th) floor stops somewhere between 750-770' up.