View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 29, 2006, 5:53 AM
They all float down here

What do you think of bungalows?

Salt Lake City, for being a western city, has an awful lot of bungalows in its central core. Though from my travels, the style in Salt Lake isn't widely popular throughout the west and the brick style is in stark contrast to that of the stucco style of California bungalows. Typically, like the California bungalow, Salt Lake bungalows have a dominant porch, sloping roofs and have 1 to 1 1/2 stories. The Salt Lake bungalow is referred to as an Prairie-style bungalow. This style was actually developed to reflect the early work of Frank Lloyd Wright and also shares some influence with Japanese prints. This style isn't widely used throughout the west and can be found mostly in the midwestern area of the United States.

The best area to spot bungalows in Salt Lake is south of downtown throughout the Liberty Park neighborhoods of East Central South, Liberty Wells, East Liberty and West Liberty.
Here's an aerial view of a typical "bungalow" hood in Salt Lake City.

This area is located just off of State Street and about 1100 South, just south of downtown SLC. As you can see, most these homes are bungalow-style.

Here's a street level photo:

This is the style seen predominantly throughout the city. Typically in neighborhoods built pre-war.

Some California bungalows on the west-side of the city.

Foursquare bungalows aren't dominant in the city, however a few older neighborhoods in SLC have them.

What's your general feeling on bungalows? To me, I love them, especially the wide porches. I know they're not the most urban, but are classic in my mind. Comments?

Last edited by Comrade; Jun 2, 2012 at 10:05 PM.