View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 5:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafeguy View Post
So... with 205 race, with this one going up, with the townhomes built behind it, and the big one next to the bridge.... has there ever been anything proposed for the big lot in the middle of all this? The one between callowhill and vine?
None of those have actually started to go up yet though. The proposal by the bridge (Is that still being called Marina View?) and 205 Race have been dragging along in the design phase and have gone through several redesigns without any sort of start date, though I'm not ready to write them off completely. Renaissance Plaza on the other hand should not in any way be confused with a serious proposal. The best case scenario is that the current "developer" sells the property to someone who will actually do something with it.

As for the lot between Callowhill and Vine, I'm not sure if there are any current proposals for that. I feel like there was one during the last boom (maybe trump Tower or Bridgeman's View?) The unfortunate fact is that there is a lot of developable land along the Delaware and the track history for successful large scale development has not been good. The only things to actually get developed in the last boom were Sugarhouse (not even phase 1, the "interim phase" ) and the first few Waterfront Square buildings (they were never able to finish the whole development.) As much as I'd love to see the Delaware waterfront fill up and densify, I totally understand the reluctance of developers to take the plunge given the history. That plus the obviously bogus proposals like Renaissance Plaza which keep large plots of land as vacant lots for DECADES.

It's frustrating as hell, but it will happen sooner or later. There's so much positive momentum in the city, it's only a matter of time before it spills over onto the water front.