View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawImages View Post
Disappointing to see great buildings like this keep getting destroyed

Europe and back east have buildings going back hundreds of years , yet we on the California west coast seem to tearthings down within 50 -100 years on a rotating basis

I would love to see a gas station or any old historic buildings be given incentives to stay in business and keep the older businesses rather than tearing them down.

Tax breaks, etc if you take a station like this and retrofit modern technology masked by time period pieces. New gas pump mechanics inside of old pumps so the "look" was still there

I know I am dreaming, but isnt that what we all do here LOL

Would be nice to start saving older buildings some how and making it a money maker to keep them rather than tear them down
For the most part I would agree you are "dreaming." What I suspect most who enjoy this forum are doing is "enjoying" a visitation with what was and even perhaps their younger days. Good reason for that as these times past were less stressful times filled with enthusiasm for the future.

Now about saving old structures. As you point out there are structures in Europe that are hundreds of years old. Some even more than a thousand years old. Unfortunately most of the structures built in this country in the 1800s and early 1900s were cheaply built in spite of their often stately appearance. We are experts in the field of slap it up as quickly as possible for as little as possible; whereas the buildings in Europe you refer to were constructed with heavy masonry walls both inside and out and often on solid rock foundations; often taking years and years to complete. The masonry veneer building even over a steel skeleton does not necessarily lend itself to long term survival and those with wood skeletons are even less likely to survive. Wood skeleton buildings, including individual homes, can easily deteriorate to the point it is economically foolhardy to even attempt to bring them up to current codes anywhere. In many cases it is totally impossible to remodel an old building to make it income productive and even if one does a bang up job of restoration it still takes tenants that desire the appearance and can themselves make money in a given location.

All across America since the 200 year celebration of the country people have been attempting to restore "main street" in every town. Most attempts are gross failures for one simple reason, parking. Today's consumer is mentally conditioned to parking within a short distance of where they are going to shop or eat. Without construction of parking facilities the main streets of America that died due to shopping centers and freeways can never be resurrected to provide the same use utility they once did.