View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 5:19 PM

United Cigar Store -Portage & Fort

Anyone remember the little Cigar store that was at the S/E corner of Portage and Fort St.? They had a big long counter/showcase with Canadian and American cigarettes, and at certain times European cigarettes. (I used to like those black Turkish ones, tasted like camel dung, but looked cool) They had the usual White Owl's, El Producto's, silver Reas', but also carried the Cuban's and the big Magnum's.

In addition to the tobacco products, they had a excellent news and magazine stand, not as elaborate as Canadian News on the north side of Portage, but functional for their clientele. I can remember buying my 'little' car books back in the 50's, as well as checking out the Playboy and Esquire, well waiting for the Marion bus to arrive. They also had a giftware area that produced many a present for my Mother or a girlfriend. The little side door on the Fort Street side was constantly active, as everyone dashed in out of the cold or rain. The awning covering over the door shelter the Marion Street bus riders and the brick wall running up to Portage provided heat in winter and coolness in summer.

While I think of it, Ray Hampton Music was the shop located next door which had the two large awnings and the recessed entrance that housed the bus riders. In side the store, they had a large array of sheet music, musical instruments, and records. They had several 'sound proof' booths that allowed you to take a record in and try it out. We played everything from the Dorsey Bros. to Dean Martin, to Bobby Darin and Elvis. You also could by a blank and go into the booth and record a record. Most of the time they ended up with two minutes of laughing and kibitzing with very little singing. Although I did buy a mouthorgan, my prized possession was a practice mouthpiece for a Garnet trumpet. I had occasion to listen to some great Winnipeg musicians try out their instruments they were purchasing and later followed a few to their gigs at the Alex or the Java Shop across from the old Free Press on Carlton, but that's another story.

It was sad to see that corner come down to make way for the Royal Bank Building, but they say, 'that's progress'.