View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 21, 2021, 2:00 AM

Peduto's office has proposed a further "tweak" to the zoning code to limit the number of front-facing garages in townhouses. Essentially it would mandate rear-facing (or sideyard-facing) parking for any lot which has access other than on the primary street frontage. It also says when alley access is not available, "shared curb cuts" are encouraged. I'm not entirely sure what this means - are they saying to have one gigundo curb cut which covers two towhouses next to one another?

It's a nice thought, but I literally cannot think of a single case where a townhouse has been built with a front-facing driveway if it had alley access. Last year's elimination of parking minimums was more impactful. Though if they really wanted to accomplish something, legal 2-3 units in rowhouse neighborhoods with no off-street parking would be even better.

Edit: I just realized one place it will cause huge issues is in areas with huge grade changes. There are lots of townhouse lots where the "alley frontage" is 1-2 stories higher or lower than the "main frontage." Since the zoning change applies to all residential attached usages, not just areas zoned R1-A, this could cause significant problems developing these properties.