View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 4:54 PM

There are options we just have to wake up from our car paradigm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Proximity is pretty important. If you're renting <$1,000, there's a good chance you don't have a car. If there's not at least a bus running every 15 minutes, life would be pretty hard.

Decent housing prices are important in the core too. It can be very hard for the free market to provide that in the core, but it can be done with cheap land (plentiful zoned capacity), low/no parking, and small units....workforce-affordable at least, and livable for a single or couple.
I don't disagree, but if you count the rail corridors and 36 corridor with the Flatiron Flyer (Which is great high frequency corridor btw) and the trail corridors, There are lots of walk-able and especially bikeable options. Its a paradigm shift for sure, but its worth shifting! I don't have a car and live in norther burbs. I do own an road bike and an Ebike for commuting which is not cheap, (the ebike took the place of my car for when I don't want to take the bus/train), but I bought that 5 years ago for 2500$ and profited greatly from selling my car. Now 5 years and 25k miles later and I have probably sank 600 into maintenance, albeit I do most if it myself. I am in better shape than I have ever been and can say without a doubt living the car-less dream! Our infrastructure here is pretty amazing.

You can get to the northern and southern suburbs on some great trails, get some amazing exercise (even on an ebike in low assist, or full assist on some of our hills) and get out of your car. I recommend it to everyone. Put some nice panniers on them and you can haul quite a load. This does open up a lot of affordable options and in particular land to develop, but demand is high still even out here. Its just the paradigm of thinking issue with most of us. When it snows, pull out the studded tires and snowboard gear. NO biggie

Westminster Downtown as well as Broomfield and now Thornton with the N-Line have some great potential. They are also fully connected to downtown by trails. There is lots of land ready to shovel, not just in the core old mall space and near new train stops, but in parcels where retail is currently living and dying its slow death. Multiple shoping centers have recently raised and are building relatively affordable units on them.