View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 18, 2020, 4:04 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
I could have sworn bunt_q was complaining a couple of years ago that Denver was turning into a playground for the rich. I guess now that he's got his, everyone else can fuck off to Aurora.
Oh don't get me wrong, I am not at all okay with Denver being a playground for only the rich. But I also don't fudge the data to make a point. There's a difference between Bangladesh flooding and THE WORLD IS ENDING - neither is acceptable, but only one is a credible argument to be making. The far left is approaching Trump-level hyperbole, and whether I agree in principle or not, that's what I can't stomach. I am still all for build-build-build. But there are limits to what that can do - I'll still never be able to afford to live in the 16th arrondissement, and that is okay.

I also cannot stomach liberal hypocrisy, which I have also always been consistent on. Boulder has sucked for decades; it's just that Denver has caught the bug too now.

And to be clear, when I made the argument about Denver being a playground for the rich, it was often in the context of a transportation argument. Where the people on here - far-left hypocrites most of them - were arguing vehemently for bike lanes, at the time, to the exclusion of dirty ol' transit and evil drivers from the burbs. As a practical matter, when the poor get pushed out of the core, and the people in the core take away road space - either for transit or cars - the people hurt most by that are the poor who have every much a right to access central Denver as the privileged few who can afford to live in the middle, and who are the loudest about taking away that access, allegedly for benevolent "save the world" reasons. The poor family exiled to Aurora probably doesn't have a choice but to drive. And it's a hell of a lot harder when the 500 wealthy white men who ride bicycles have exercised their political privilege to take a bunch of the road space that used to be available to that family.

THAT is what I said.

That is also why I'll take a Trump over a Bernie every day of the week, and twice on Sunday. Amy/Mike or Mike/Amy, that's my new horse. But really, I am anybody-but-Bernie. (Also, anybody-but-Polis, but have to wait a few years for that.)