View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 28, 2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavman View Post
Doc O'Keefe is quoted today as having opined for more Cruise Ship promotion. Something I've also wondered.
I think this question also begs attention to the greater waterfront in general.

http://vocm.com/news/former-st-johns...-cruise-ships/

We have a beautiful waterfront (despite the fence), and it needs to be enhanced with features such as a boardwalk, tourism outlets, etc.
I always thought the leasable chalets down there before the restaurants, were a start, but they disappeared with restaurants in the offing, and I hear some vandalism.
What we have there now(apart from the restaurants), is a gaunt industrial bowl of ships on both sides, without any of the historic maritime flavour of St. John's Harbour.
The little harbour park next to pilot boat is nice, but too small and squat between industry.

I know this is a federal issue but; I've also wondered why the finger piers of the early century were not recreated.
The harbour is wide, and besides adding berths, it would add space for floating restaurants, historic schooners, etc.

on Doc's point particularly, there could be provincial money for coves and inlets close by St. John's, to enhance the offerings for cruise ship passengers in tourism attractions.
As the article states, we are again being out promoted, and out spent by the other Maritime Canadian jurisdictions!
Re. the reinstating of the finger piers: it's really all up to the SJ Port Authority as they own the land. Despite the reason for its existence being entirely fraudulent, the only way to improve the situation is for the city to crack a deal them. This is what happened in Halifax and it's absolutely wonderful down there now.

There's only 14 who work in the building there, so it shouldn't be too hard, but I have a good feeling there's some mad corruption going down in there. In theory they are responsible to Transport Canada but I imagine they're pretty hands-off about it.

Last edited by thevan; Aug 31, 2018 at 7:06 PM.