View Single Post
Old Posted May 15, 2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
I think you have courthouse blocks confused. The bottom rendering is for the block south of Republic Square, that was earlier owned by Austin Museum of Art (now the Contemporary) that was historically reserved for a courthouse in the Waller Plan, and for a brief time was going to be a County Courthouse.

The Intel project was going to be built on the Federal Courthouse on the San Antonio side of Republic Square. It also included three other blocks: another building on the Horizon Bank site and two stand alone parking garages. One was going to be where 360 Condos is now, and I think the other was the IBC Bank site. Actually, I think the IBC bank site might have been a building and the Horizon Bank site was a parking garage, but I'm not sure - my memory is failing in old age.
You are right. I am mis-remembering. I went back and looked at the site plan from the original marketing brochure, below. I mixed up the 'museum' names.

Do you remember the Intel Shell demo back in 2007, to make way for the new courthouse? Skip to the 0:50 mark to see the actual implosion.

Video Link

Back on topic....the reason this building isn't going to take advantage of height that the lack of a CVC allows is because Horizon is building it for themselves, with some lease space included. Banks are more conservative with their own money. Skyscrapers are expensive.