View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 16, 2019, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Most likely it'll be a cheaper option than downtown for a decent enough hotel in or near a neighborhood with a lot of stuff and also not far from downtown. To me it makes some sense.

Not just SoHo, but pretty much all over Midtown Manhattan. Some aren't brand new buildings and some are. Even good brands here have "whatever" designs. For example, this Renaissance near Penn Station is a newer building completed just probably 4 years ago(?). Before I moved here, I would stay at this hotel every week for months on end while on business and it's a nice one inside. However it's just another meh glass box:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/21...9!4d-73.991033

The majority of hotel goers care about what the inside is like, not the outside anyway.
This basically. One of the best things to happen to NYC overall in the last 15ish years was a proliferation of lower to medium cost hotels across much of the city since there was little to no zoning barrier to the use. So scores of more affordable hotels were built even in neighborhoods where you wouldn't consider there to be as much demand.

Chicago could use more neighborhood hotels and while I'd prefer them not to look like this having the supply is good.