Thread: Edmonton Roads
View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 7:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
From my perspective, the advantages of the Macleod/162 Ave DDI won't be fully apparent till Stoney opens in 2021. Till then, I don't feel like the west-south movement will be heavy enough to realize the full advantage and people will be asking why they didn't just build a normal partial cloverleaf or a diamond. In any event, it's bold for them to plan one on Yellowhead with no real precedent in Canada for how it might unfold, of course there's plenty of time to amend the plan before they dig in. Might I suggest they do not open a DDI in October so they can maximize the number of months the painted arrows will be visible before they're snow covered.

A DDI would be the perfect fit for Gateway/Calgary Tr and Ellerslie Rd, heavy left turn volumes both ways. They just built that bridge in 2000 or so though, no way it gets fixed now. Instead they just mailed it in and spent $200m on 41 Ave.
There are a lot of DDIs in the U.S. and the reviews seem to be very positive. Why would the ones in Calgary and Edmonton be any different? As long as they have good signage like the various DOTs have been using I don't see it being an issue.