View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 9, 2014, 7:57 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Thanks for the update jslaughter!

'New venue for new era': Alabama Power Railroad Park area steam plant to bring Birmingham a new kind of energy

Joseph D. Bryant
Birmingham News
July 9, 2014
LINK

Quote:
For more than 100 years the Powell Avenue steam plant served a major source of energy for Birmingham.

Now leaders at Alabama Power Company want to use the historic building to generate new civic and cultural energy.

Alabama Power President Mark Crosswhite this afternoon announced the company's plan to redevelop the former industrial plan into an entertainment and cultural center just across from Railroad Park and near the upcoming Rotary Trail.

"Lately we've been thinking a lot about the future of Powell Avenue," Crosswhite told the Birmingham Rotary Club.

That vision could include restaurants, entertainment space and a possible museum at the site.
Well, we've finally found out what Alabama Power is planning to do with the property they bought up next to the steam plant and Railroad Park. I was kinda iffy about this idea until I looked through the website they created for this concept: powersteamplant.com

That website has a good video at the bottom showing what they want to do. I'm pretty impressed, it looks like it will create a better link between Railroad Park and the Rotary Trail. I'm loving the rooftop idea. Looks like it would be a great place to have dinner in the evening.

I think the video I mentioned above does a better job illustrating what they want to do, but below are some pictures from the AL.com story I posted above.

BTW, here's a screen capture from Google Maps of downtown. The red square is the steam plant and the parking lot that will become the plaza type part of the project. The yellow star is where the Rotary Trail begins. And yes, I did this in paint.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State