View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 5:38 PM

I don't live in Memphis and haven't since 1991. I just know the fates or pending fates of the old large city stadiums that are not on a college campus of an SEC school. I know that with exception of the largest of cities that stadiums larger than 65 to 70 thousand are not advisable and that's NFL towns like Nashville, Cincinnati and so on. Atlanta could fill a new stadium of a 100,000 for the SEC Championship but they dare not go over 80,000 by much and that's a booming town with an NFL team. Why some in Birmingham thinks a stadium the size of most mid and smaller market NFL teams is wise is beyond me. I think of the Alamo dome in San Antonio as the perfect oops it's too big blunder. Truth be told the new Cowboys stadium really only seats 80 thousand, that 100,000 figure Jerry throws around includes all kinds of SRO numbers. Most SEC ADS will tell you the money is in the suites and premium seating not size. I seem to remember Saban asking folks to stick around last season cause those sold empties look bad l. Most schools are now doing survey after survey to ask for game day enhancements to make sure they fill their overbuilt stadiums and enflated ticket prices because watching it on a hd 70 in tv set with great wifi service is so much cheaper.