View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 12:07 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprice1828 View Post
I know I'm not completely alone in this, as I've seen some similar sentiments on the Washington DC subreddit. But I'm mostly opposed to the massive construction project they have planned for Washington Union Station. It's obviously wanted because of the undersized Amtrak concourse but I'd much much rather see the retail removed from the original concourse and seating restored in the grand hall. I was hoping this was Amtrak's desire as well in pursuing the eviction of the Union Station lease holder, but I'm not entirely sure that was the case. I've seen hints that Amtrak intended to support the new construction project even if the eviction went through. I hate that we've taken a perfectly good train station and reduced it to a mall and event space while we're forced to spend billions in to build another train station. The only rationale for the project would be the lack of retain space if the historic concourse was restored.
The Station project will expand Union Stations capacity and upgrade the neglected lower level in addition to a proper Bus terminal with a brand-new concourse to connect everything. The old areas are too far from departure areas but should be utilized better.