View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 21, 2019, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
oof.

I know everyone seems to have their anecdotal opinions about "I know this one lazy person who worked in Water and Waste" or "My friend works in public works and never does anything" as if the statement applies to all 10,000 city employees, but MBNCanada and the City of Winnipeg itself provides so many statistics on just how "efficient" (i.e. under-funded or under-resourced) our city is compared to other cities across Canada, it's not just in the planning area. Decades of property tax freezes, decreases, and marginal increases (dedicated to roads) will do that to us.

It boggles my mind that the citizens of this city constantly whine about property taxes and fees one day and then complain about dirty and pothole-filled streets, decrepit community centres, closed wading pools, uncut grass, and ugly light fixtures the next.

Winnipeggers have asked to live in a cheap city and they are most certainly getting what they ask for.
Think your property tax is high? It's because the school divisions in this city have the highest tax rates in Canada, which has to do with the Province, not the City. The municipal tax portion of the taxpayer's property tax bill is among the lowest in Canada, hence our garbage infrastructure.

City council has done nothing to address the sorry state of our infrastructure (aside from reversing slashes to the roads budget by Katz), nor have they done a thing to make Winnipeg a more attractive place to live - but hey, having the lowest municipal property tax in the country will surely start attracting people... any day now, any day...