View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlow View Post
Oh I don't think it is, necessarily. I was just pointing out 35' is allowed under the Zoning By-law. Anything is tall next to a dinky bungalow built on a crawlspace in old St. Vital, but the case could be made that 35' is a bit excessive, given that it's such a rarity in older neighbourhoods.
Neighbourhoods evolve. As I said before, it's unreasonable to expect housing to continue to be built to 1920s standards. If standards have changed and people are building bigger houses, then why on earth would the city want to force everyone interested in a modern house to the edge of town, to greenfield subdivisions while the housing stock in older areas rots away?

The reinvigoration of old neighbourhoods that infill housing has provided is something to encourage, assuming you want these neighbourhoods to be filled with nice owner-occupied homes and not just run down rental properties. (Not pointing a finger at you here, wardlow, but at the opponents of infill housing who try and NIMBY every project to death and who dead-weight councillors like Mayes pander to.)