Thread: Light Rail Boom
View Single Post
Old Posted May 26, 2019, 5:50 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
It has become somewhat common to criticize DART as an example of rail gone wrong. Jeff Speck did it in Walkable City, Christof Spieler did it in Trains, Buses, People, and now it has occurred in this thread. I don't have enough experience with the system to have a strong opinion, but even if I were convinced that DART's approach to light rail is wrong, that doesn't even come close to negating every light rail implementation in every city.
I do not care how common it is, DART built a light rail system the citizens of Dallas and its’s twelve other member suburban cities wanted. Almost half the local taxes collected to subsidize the entire system does not come from Dallas. The suburban cities as a group have almost as much power, politically and financially, as Dallas alone, so the system has to service them. That is why it does. Those who criticize DART for building a suburban friendly light rail system ignores these realities!

Maybe if DART was just limited to within city limits of Dallas politically and financially it could have built as an urban friendlier light rail system these critics want. But that did not happen! I do not see any of these critics suggesting DART should give all the suburban city’s taxes back, collected since 1983.