View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 13, 2012, 6:58 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittle1 View Post
I never seen smoking on a city bus, not even a trolley. I'm not saying that we didn't have a butt in the full width back seat, with the window cracked wide open, but there never was an open smoking policy in my days.
I suspect it never came to your attention, no more than someone wearing an iPod would be noticed today. Smoking was *everywhere* not that long ago. Hell, I can still remember when shopping malls first restricted it to food courts, boy howdy did that cause an uproar. Can you imagine walking through a shopping mall smoking today? It's as bizarre a thought as walking around naked.

I seem to recall buses removing their ashtrays around the same time airlines started welding theirs shut, although in the case of airlines it highly depended on carrier and route for a while. I do distinctly remember ashtrays mounted on the metal poles of the older Wpg Transit buses, at least around the back doors anyway - at least as recently as the mid 80s.

I hope I'm not mixing up transit buses with Greyhounds and such here. Anything's possible when it comes to 30 year old memories.

I also seem to recall a news story about that newspaper guy, when he retired/died or whatever happened to him.