View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 18, 2010, 2:35 AM
Paradise

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post
Exactly my thoughts; I think that with Ashkenazy's (the current) redevelopment plan, we could get a bit of a 2-for-1 (minus extra ballroom/meeting space.) If all the phases get built, and that includes the possible unnamed "high-end" hotel that would sit on Commerce, then that could also bring in some higher-end stores when the right kind of foot-traffic is around. This could eventually push out some of the existing stores to the street and possibly coincide with and provide some tenants for some mixed-used projects that hopefully get moving in the next few years. All of this and some added entertainment and we could finally have a DT that could get enough interest from locals to be seen as a "location."

This new plan (Marriotts plan) could attract a new market to DT and sort of turn it into a higher-end destination, although I don't think that a few stores will do that. La Cantera is convenient enough to the resorts that people more than likely wouldn't venture down to DT specifically for shopping. **With these plans though, and the high number of hotels that Marriott has DT (including 2 still under construction,) it could be trying to achieve a complete takeover of DT and create a "village" (see: Hilton Hawaiian Village.) If we get a Texas-style luau performance at Hemifair Park, it could finally get some good use. Instead of a roasted pig and poi, we could serve barbacoa and migas.**

**indicates sarcastic tone and an attempt to be funny**
That's what I am hoping for. Maybe they'll plan a residential area nearby or maybe a developer will see more of a potential for residences near it since the mall started to attract more people.