View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 27, 2022, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I'll take a 16% reduction in my hydro bill. Yes please.

I guess the point is they just have a big empty building where people casually meet up and do a bit of work. Hydro now is switching from big new hydro plants, to maintenance on existing infrastructure. They already farm out all the heavy work to consultants anyways. They were big time over staffed. Pallister cut that down, which is one good things he's done.

I'd love to be on a 4 day work week permanently like some other countries.
16% reduction up front when everyone gets fired. But then who runs the utility? Ernst & Young won't do it for free.

This complaining reminds me of when people gripe about fuel taxes driving increasing costs when in reality they are a small portion of the overall price. Strip away all fuel taxes and you're still paying over a buck a litre for gas.

I really don't get this lobster pot mentality. One of the nice spinoffs of having crown corporations like MPI, Hydro, etc. is that it brings some good jobs to town. Are we really going to get upset because some Hydro staff work slightly longer days to have every other Friday off?

I spent one summer in university working at a software company in China. Most people there worked 6 days a week. On paper you'd think it would be amazing. But do you really think the office was a beehive of productivity on Saturdays? They could have easily chopped that requirement and no one would have noticed. If the work is getting done and the staff are putting in the hours, who cares if the Hydro staff are in the office every Friday?