View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 26, 2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
I don't even buy that they'll see that much energy savings if its silver. Remember Chicago is below room temperature for about 8 months (66%) of the year. That means the Black would have a net positive effect on the buildings heating costs for those times of the year...
That is true for residential and small scale commercial. Office Towers though need to be cooled constantly. This is because of the interiors being filled with people, copy machines, computers, lights, and other mechanical equipment all producing and radiating heat. Then, because heat rises, multiply that by each floor from B3-103.

HELL NO on this proposal. Build the hotel to the south, and block some of the southern facade from direct day light. That will achieve the same goal while adding more revenue to the property. Add solar panels and small scale turbines to the setbacks to reduce energy consumption from the grid further. They better not dare to f*ck with the skin color of the building. I'd imagine there would be some serious outrage from the general population, look how serious of an uproar was caused by Macy's.

Landmarking consideration typically begins at 40 years, which would put Sears in line with 2013-2014. I'd say we are close enough. Do it and do it quick! IBM has already been approved for landmarking, and its the same age. Landmarking would also give the owners eligibility for tax credits.