View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 16, 2019, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Grand Rapids struck me as surprisingly large when I was there recently. It's metro is about 1,000,000, but that includes some suburbs which are a bit of a stretch to include (Muskegon / Holland). It's effectively more like 700,000.

Agreed on Calgary, it feels massive compared to it's metro population. The downtown isn't quite as busy as a larger city, but the skyline certianly matches a city more so double to triple it's size.

I think it has to do with it's role as the business headquarters for Canada's oil industry and it's associated highly concentrated downtonwn employment focus. It's much more of a white collar city than Edmonton, and most of the jobs are downtown.
Ya Grand Rapids is a city I'm curious about..I also found Syracuse to have some real cool older buildings. I'm Not sure about it's overall urbanity. Syracuse does seem well serviced when I was there those few times though. Major University, huge mall, etc. re: Calgary..While it may not necessarily have the width and girth of larger metros, it makes what it does have count and does real good with the density and concentration of their high-rises. It's skyline is very picaresque from the great angles I've seen taken of it..I've never been there, so I can't comment on the rest other then that it's definitely diverse and appears real well serviced.