View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 2, 2010, 1:49 AM

Location: enjoying life in Tønsberg the coolest little town in Norway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
Actually, the Middle East powerholders and presidents have already thought about that. What if the oil runs out? Create the biggest, fastest growing touring destination on earth.

Tenants aren't there because of the oil, they're there because of the cheap leasing space. And those apartments are being sold. To a lot of people from the Middle East, Southeast Asia, America and Europe.

Don't blame the oil for Dubai being such a nice city. Well, yes, blame it. Because when people found out it was going to run out they began building hotels and attractions.

Couldent agree more this is a very very good way to spend the oil before it is all gone and Dubai and United Arab Emirates as a hole is focusing not just on tourism but trade and business alot too the jebel ali port one of the largest artificial harbours in the world was put up as early as the 1970s

and as some of u might know Norway also got a huge oil wealth of presumably 4000 billion wich to my big horror we actually are just sitting on and looking stupid when we really should be up there competing whit Dubai in being one of the greatest tourist destinations not just whit nature but with buildings too.

Because in norway when the oil runs out wich it will do very soon like in Dubai a very big chunk of our economy will just go away. And unlike Dubai we got no tourism or industy so big that it can keep up with that income. And half of the population in the country is over retirement age and dont work neither.

And if we then finnaly wake up the remains of the oil money will probably run out while we are trying to fix the most crucial things as infrastructure and long before we even hawe gotten a real alternative to oil economy going.

so i think that the way Dubai is doing it is very wise

and no i dont like being a Norwegian im quite emberrased by it

zry for the long article just wanted to make a point

and the superscraper looks insanely cool definitly seems like we are heading for a coursant like city skyline in the near future.

And all this hype around being the first to build over 1000 meters or the mile high 1,6 kilometers will probably make such amazing buildings as this reality in the not too distant future

My flickr photo stream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/infernal_elf/