View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 24, 2009, 3:30 PM

Currently living in an 800 sq ft condo by myself in Airdrie (a PofV project... ). Bought it on spec in 2005 as it was all I could afford on my own after living in rentals in various downtown Calgary locations. The fact that I commute to and from the Calgary airport for work helped in the choice ultimately. I had a roommate for a brief period, but it didn't work out and I ended up having to kick him out. Left a bad taste in my mouth so now I live hand to mouth, but oh well. Being on the road up to 18 days a month I appreciate condo living for the security and knowledge that my place is fairly safe. However, I feel that the Condo Board and the Management Company aren't managing the premises very well. They can't seem to keep the costs in check therefore the condo fees go up and we recently got a special assessment. Also, the general condition of the grounds leave something to be desired.

I am currently dating someone who owns a great house along a greenstrip in Royal Oak and the plan was for me to sell or rent out my condo so I could move to Royal Oak this fall. But due to there being a glut of condos on the market here in Airdrie, I doubt mine would sell for any significant profit in my pocket and I would lose money renting it out, so I've had to put the move on hold for another year or so until the market picks up again.

When I was renting, I was living in places like the CBD, Bridgeland, and 17th Ave SW area, all of which I loved. Royal Oak would not exactly be my first choice. Sure there is a yard for the dog and there's lots of space in the house, but I loved being close to where all the amenities and fun are. I wish I could convince my significant other to consider a house in Parkdale, Inglewood, Bridgeland, or somewhere inner city, but that would be a futile attempt. He has always lived in the 'burbs and his job is close Royal Oak, so getting him to see the benefits of living close in would be a real chore.