View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 7:09 AM
I am so smart, S-M-R-T!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
In this situation, I'm guessing the Houston BW8 model will be utilized. The existing lanes will be converted to frontage and all thru lanes will be tolled. If the area in the middle is not large enough to accommodate the new thru lanes, then the new frontage roads will be built and the existing lanes will be improved to freeway status. Nothing will have altered, other than the frontage roads would be moved out a few feet from present position, paid for by the toll authority. Currently, south of MLK is essentially frontage road - at best.
I generally agree, but again, if there exists a diamond interchange now at some location, i.e. non-tolled limited access, this would mean that any future development would have to include that same level of access. To simply shift out the FR's and tie them to controlled intersections would be, in effect, eliminating a level of access that was once free.

Using MLK/FM 969 as an example where there currently exists this configuration, I would speculate based on what I've seen on the CTTS thus far that FR's would have to provide free movements both to turn on to MLK from US 183 and go through the intersection uncontrolled. There is a hodge-podge of this all along the US 183 corridor.

Conversely, US 290E is a non-issue: simply bump out the FR's and construct tolled mainlanes as you've described.