View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 3, 2018, 3:39 PM

Thank you Wpg_Guy for the anecdote and pictures. Truly gives us a perspective of the ridiculousness and state of disrepair.

Note that I've never been to Winnipeg (we will be visiting at the end of August), but I will still give my two cents.

To me, it's always been clear that they should re-open the intersection. To force pedestrians underground in order to save drivers a minute is just wrong on so many levels.

If it were up to me, I would open up the intersection and implement a system similar to that Japanese(?) intersection on the first page; give a minute (or however, long needed to allow people such as the elder gentlemen in that picture further up on this page to be able to safely cross the intersection) for all pedestrians to cross, an then give cars their priority as we have today.

I'm supportive of an underground/indoor option to give people an alternative option, but seeing the damage to the entrances and stairways, it might be worth shutting down completely. Either fill the circus with concrete or, keep it open, but with access to buildings only, not street level.

In Ottawa, we only have one intersection, as far as I can think, that forces people to go down stairs and back up, and that is at Rideau and Colonel By, from old Union Station (soon to be the temporary Senate) to the S/W entrance to the Rideau Centre. This one is not accessible; no elevators, no ramps. The NCC was planning on redesigning the intersection a few years ago, but has since shelved the project.

For P&M, there are no accessible entrances at street level, is that correct? People have to go though buildings for elevators. Are those lobbies open outside business hours to make them accessible at all times.