View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
You have a very serious lack of understanding of scale. The amount of gas a the people of Berkeley use to cook is so incredibly impossibly small compared to the gas used and burned every day around the world its literally a joke.
No, I'm very aware of scale. You're the one who seems unaware that great things are composed of a lot of little constituting parts.

With your logic, there's no difference between me going somewhere on foot or driving there alone in a 4x4 V8 Chevy Suburban, since at planetary scale it doesn't change anything.

I mean, nothing matters anymore with that kind of logic. (Short of a global nuclear war, I guess.)

If the people in that area of California can stop burning fossil fuels and instead use clean electricity (which is available there), that's a positive, not negative, step. Therefore, I'm for it. Why are you against it?

Quote:
If you really want to save the planet you should start by offing yourself as that will prevent far more fossil fuel usage overall than using Tesla or cooking on an electric stove instead of a gas one.
Interestingly, when I started in real estate my hippie gf at the time was blaming me for being a planet-destroying capitalist, and using my time "poorly" from the point of view of saving the environment. Then I converted several of my (old, flawed, cheap) buildings from fossil fuels to all electric, and also greatly improved the poor thermal insulation (very good savings, too), and was able to own her in our argument by demonstrating (with yearly figures) I had just done a lot more for the planet than she ever had.