View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 6, 2012, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
I just joined this forum to, first, say thank you to the contributors to the Noirish Los Angeles thread. I'm only about 1/6 of the way through (so many pictures, so little time!) and many questions about old "Lost" Angeles have been answered.

This thread even solved a great mystery that I never could figure out -- just exactly why the old Hall of Records was positioned on an odd angle to the rest of the Civic Center (old street alignment -- I never knew!).

One of my favorite old LA restaurants is of course Philippe's. I knew the restaurant had moved to it's present location on Ord Street due to the freeway expansion in the 40's/50's.
According to Wikipedia, there were a number of locations before the move to Ord:

300 N. Alameda (Philippe's 1908)
156 N. Spring (New Poodle Dog French restaurant 1911)
617 N. Alameda (1913)
246 Aliso St. (1918)
364 Aliso St. (1925)

The article also referred to this area as the "Frenchtown Neighborhood", which was razed for City Hall and freeway expansion.
Since I've only gone about 1/6 of the way through this thread, did any of you uncover pictures containing the early Philippe's locations and/or Frenchtown?
If not, can any pictures be unearthed? I've always wondered about the first Philippe's.

TIA.

Welcome to the thread Lwize!

When I researched Philippe's prior locations for a discussion on the thread last year, I only found a photo of the 364 Aliso location where they were from 1925-1951.

Here is the link to that discussion and my post with the photo:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...7s#post5565195

~Jon Paul