View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 11:58 PM
Youth of a Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff1987 View Post
I'm fairly optimistic, and as far as a the city goes - and admittedly I have a slightly biased opinion - but without naming names, there are many Canadian cities that I have ventured too that, for a multitude of reasons, don't hold a candle to Winnipeg. And of course, there are others we can learn some things from.

Bureaucratically, we drag our feet to no end, but the cloud of mass depression that for a while hung over this city has lifted and left. I'm not saying its bright and sunny. I'm just saying its not stormy any more. We need proactive policy and a wide open business climate. As far as natural advantages, we have them coming out of our ying yangs. Most importantly of all, although not a cash cow like oil, our greatest advantages are renewable, making Winnipeg a city of the future. A massive investment (or subsidy) in biotechnology would be paramount. Biotech is only going to continue to balloon in the coming decades. Our service to nearby Minneapolis (and Milwaukee-Chicagoland) makes Winnipeg, geographically, very, very relevant.

We will continue to gripe, but things are on the up and up. For every reason to be upset, there is 2 or 3 to be positive about.

However, in the end of the day, it will be Winnipeggers who collectively will decide what Winnipeg becomes.
i find it funny how for many years that the headquarters of companies in recent years move out of winnipeg. with the consideration that winnipeg is smack dab in the middle, and it would be more beneficial for them to be there then way east, or way west. no matter what happens winnipeg will always have a slow and steady growth. with MTS Allstream putting in a bid to have its hand in the cellular business i am hoping that will bring more corp and office jobs back to winnipeg. its pretty sad as well when a company like canwest who started in winnipeg moves its hq to Calgary, and yet they purchase the old td centre that makes no sense. but thats pretty typical i guess for winnipeg. move ahead to the point of success and leave.