View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 1:32 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by krondog View Post
This. I'm from SA but I've been living in Berlin for quite some time now and let me tell you, there's nothing worse than living on the ground floor where people walking by can see inside. Having no retail on the ground floor in a location like that is mindboggling.
I don't mean this as a slight (and I hope nobody takes it that way) but I think many (not all) people in San Antonio just don't have enough experience with urban living to understand such things. I lived in New York for 18 years, you live in Berlin, and there are others who have lived in other places, as well as those in SA who do understand. But ground level retail in an urban setting is sooooo important. It creates community, it gives dwellers immediate access to shopping, dining, etc., it gives residents the privacy you mentioned, it makes it safer (thieves can much more easily break into a ground floor home than one on the second floor or above), it lessens the need for driving which lessens traffic and pollution. I have such a hard time with a large residential building such as this in a dense urban setting and no retail. Such poor planning.