View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 8, 2014, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
We get it CityBoyDoug, you blame it all on illegal aliens...i.e. Mexicans.

..but it isn't that simple, for a generation now the rich have become richer while the poor remain buried in poverty.
What can one expect from a society of haves and haves not?
__

I'm sorry I posted the photo of the littered street.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverlaker View Post
ebay

Regarding the "litter" thread, funny, just before we got into that I was noticing on the same page in this photo from 1926 how the street level of Bixel Street looked remarkably similar to today....the litter tossed into the gutter and just left there on the left and in the vacant lot on the right....also the untended/overgrown median. Where was the management/owner of Whitehall Court and why not send one of their maintenance folks down to pick up the litter so nearby their property as I would do like I do near my own house now? I can just imagine them griping "why doesn't someone [of course this timeless "someone" always meaning someone "else"] do something about this litter? It was never thus years ago! Must have been the war."

This site has often surprised me by how times have changed so much in many ways, yet in other respects not much at all. A couple examples of things that have gotten my notice in a fun familiar way in old photos here are the vegetarian restaurant on Hill St at the base of the Angels Flight (LA at the leading edge of health trends even then) around 1900 and also the surprising number of Spanish language businesses and advertisements in late 19th century early 20th c LA...particularly the areas around Main/Broadway/Temple north to the Plaza. The past often tends to get idealized in peoples minds as a fantasy place of mental comfort and retreat (idyllic/idealized childhood memories), but people really have not really changed that much. When I took Latin years ago, a special delight was being able to read the etched graffiti of ancient Romans preserved in the walls of Pompeii & Herculaneum (though admittedly I would have been one of the ancient citizens of the day lobbying the local Consul to help stamp it out lest it ruin the lovely area around the amphitheater/baths as I hate graffiti and probably would have then as well!)
Good catch, Silverlaker. It's much along the lines of what I was thinking and it reminds of the recent photos I posted of the Pioneer Memorial at Fort Moore Hill. It also reminds me of the old and uncared for people and houses on Bunker Hill when I was a kid. My family didn't go near Bunker Hill if we could avoid it. It was dirty, often scary. It was also a mostly Caucasian (White) neighborhood, not that race or ethnicity is to blame, but only a factor. What bunker Hill taught me is that blight is used an agent for change. From what I understand, the grand palaces of Bunker Hill (not cheaply built) became a convenient blight to land developers not long after their construction. I see the same pattern happening at the Pioneer Memorial now. It has been neglected for 40 years now, and the city's covenant to keep the memorial has faded into obscurity, pressed, I'm certain, by the high value of the land on which it stands.