View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 30, 2006, 6:39 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego
I did like the old guy who stood up and asked why the developer was bothering to spend all that money to save the facade of that "ugly old building"....and of course he has a point, i mean look at the Johnson Publishing building to the north, its not like every building on the Mich Ave streetwall is a beautiful victorian structure from pre-1900...and even if they are, that doesnt necessraily mean its worth saving. But such is the argument of preservationists: old = good, regardless of the fact that somethign built now will someday be old and quaint as well...
That is bologna. The Michigan Avenue Streetwall is documented thoroughly for its landmark worthiness. There is very scholarly research done about why each and every building should be saved. Most proposals in Chicago for landmarking presented to the Commission never see the light of day.

Old does not necessarily equal good in Chicago. In fact, the pendulum swings FAR to the demolition side here. Trust me - I worked in this field for several years. Just drive through Lincoln Park, Lakeview, East Village, Humbolt Park, Edgewater, virtually anywhere in fact, and you will see this fact for yourself. Compare Chicago to less architecturally-significant cities, and it's a sad thing.

Concerning the modern buildings such as the Johnson Publishing building, they were all EXCLUDED from the landmark designation, so the owners can do as they see fit with them. (Actually, this has me worried, as the Essex Inn and the Borg-Warner building are quite excellent and probably will be demolition targets in the near future. No, I don't care how many people detest them, and I'm not saying that just because they're old - )

On an brighter note, I think this tower is Pappageorge's finest high-rise moment to date. The color rendering really has me sold. I think the balconies are excellently handled, the curtainwall looks nice, and the prominent beacon on top looks great. Also, I really dig the crossing over the alley. It reminds me of the Field's Store or the Carson store downtown, but also reminds me of the old loft buildings that - ahem - used to fill the streets of the South Loop, with their covered walkways zig-zagging across the alleyways.