View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 30, 2019, 6:14 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Yeah this has always struck me too. There are some things that are cheaper, like "beer and a shot" deals at some bars, but that's more likely a factor of minimum price on alcohol laws here. When I was in Detroit last month I found I was paying about $7-9 USD on average for a 16oz craft beer (no real pints in America!).

Although I've always found Toronto to be pretty good for food and drink deals, though there's obviously some very high end stuff. Paid somewhat more the last times I was in Calgary and Halifax. Ottawa can also be a bit more expensive, though has less price variation.

Yeah, pricing for things seem fairly consistent across the country, which is also kind of surprising given the differences in cost of living.

Still, aside from the US, among all the other places I've been in the last few years, only Iceland and Switzerland have been more expensive to eat out in (and not really for alcohol!) than Toronto/Canada are. Even supposedly expensive markets like Japan are more affordable.