View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 11, 2015, 6:06 PM
Weapon of Mass Creation

As someone who has pretty much been waiting for development of San Pedro Creek his whole life, I am downright giddy with excitement over this. When I was a child, my mother would walk me from LaFeria (now Goodwill) to the Kress on Houston (now Texas de Brazil), and I would pass the creek believing that it was a man-made drainage ditch. Later in life I would find out its historical significance. I was dumbfounded that this unremarkable, neglected eyesore was a huge catalyst for the creation of what would be our city. And the only indication of its historical significance (for those who were unaware of any) was a single marker on Houston Street (although I believe a few more have since been added).

I find the design to be very smart, considerate of the the fact that at times much of it will be under water during flooding. Cleaning up the aftermath of a flood will be a fact of life for a downtown flood channel (even with the tunnel). And yes, although I would like to see this or that done a little differently, these 6 areas covering the 2 mile linear park leave plenty of room for future public artwork/architecture integration. And I do hope that the development has a continuing link to San Pedro Park in its future.

What a great 300th Birthday present, a timely development of a waterway that helped to create this city.