View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 10:47 PM

Greco Roman;

I had no intent to "cheapen" your opinion, just to challenge the points you made. I missed your comment about First Nations slaughtering each other, but it doesn't change my argument in any way. I did not argue that First Nations are deserving of help because they are somehow morally superior to anyone else, but because they are morally equal. Actually, I don't even go that far. I simply argue that responsability comes with power, so their moral standing does not really matter all that much. I don't know what would have happened if Europeans had not come, and I'm guessing neither do you. It doesn't matter, because we know what did happen.

I repeat: I do not ask you to feel guilty about what happened. Aside fromebing futile, that would not be constructive. Accepting responsability does not require guilt. BTW, I am not someone who thinks you can throw money at things and they will go away, that would be naive, nearly as naive as the position that the market will take care of all social ills. Again, I point to many recent successes, which have occured through cooperation, discourse and aknowledgement of the past, not through confrontation, blaming and denial.