View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pootkao View Post
Change starts with one strong voice.

I echo iajs's feelings. I'd say there IS a community of people that actively avoid suburban malls + big box outlets.

And no, I don't "harm" myself by not shopping at suburban outlets. That is ridiculous. I can get whatever I want online, when I'm in other cities, or downtown. By shopping there you enable those developments, allowing those businesses to make more money. If I want businesses downtown, I need to shop downtown and support downtown.

One dollar = one vote.

And I refuse to vote for Kenaston & McGilvary, or its ilk.
I would have to agree with Grumpy old man, regarding the fact that "getting whatever you want online" destroys the entire argument about supporting "local" businesses. If you are really trying to help those local business' downtown, you would purchase solely from them.

I can understand the logic behind the disdain for suburban big bog retailers as it is generally very consumptious and individualistic in itself, yet if you are going to go "all out" and completely put an embargo on even going near there, then you should adhere to your original doctrine and purchase only from "local business'" otherwise the whole leading by example breaks down.

Obviously if you are using the internet to purchase goods, your local business' are lacking some of the provisions you need seeing that you can't get them there. In this case, how is it any better than going to a suburban outlet? You're saving the environment by not driving twenty minutes? Bike there if you're so concerned because the package delivery truck consumes fuel too.