View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 3, 2014, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
Some of you talk disparagingly about the possibility of related instead building a 50 story commie block slab. Most non-Chicagoans would love Related to build a 50 story slab in their city. Some Chicago scraper fans must be spoiled to be able to dismiss such a possibility so off-handedly. I mean, get some perspective. No one is even building 2000 foot buildings in NY or Dubai.

Most cities are not Chicago which is why they would be OK with any decent development. We are talking about one of the most prime sites in what is probably the world's most architecturally significant skyline and Related is going to put up some shitbox with the lowest grade materials that will pass building code. That's what Related does in Chicago: mediocrity. We get enough boring filler buildings on the fringes of downtown, I don't know why anyone would find it acceptable to have a massive bucktooth added to our skyline in possibly the most visible location left downtown. Maybe Related will surprise us, but judging by their puffery about "hiring a starchitect for our next Chicago project to up our game" which turned out just to be them pasting a RAMSA BRAND TM skin onto another shit box, I'll believe it when I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploppalopp View Post
Could you summarize what is said in the article please. I think you might need to have a subscription to read it. Anyways, I have another question on the foundation. The spire is a quite uniquely shaped building. This means that its foundation was also uniquely shaped and built with the specific purpose of serving the full spire. I know that someone could theoretically build something a bit different on that foundation, but it seems like they would get the best bang for their buck by building a spirelike building.

Is there a possibility that the foundation will be demolished and restarted?
I sure hope that the spire does get built!!!!!
The foundation is virtually impossible to demolish and no, it will have no bearing on the final shape of whatever is built here. Honestly, we are talking about 20' diameter cylinders of solid concrete and steel that extend 125' into the earth and into the bedrock. No one is going to be able to demolish that.

Even if they could, why would they? The magic of reinforced concrete is that you can basically completely change any design halfway through construction by pouring a big ass transfer slab that ties all the existing columns (or in this case cassions) together and then completely reconfigure where the new columns are oriented. That is is likely what we will see here, they will pour a big ass mat that will tie all the existing cassions together to support whatever heinous monstrosity Related chooses to shit out here. The foundations are built to carry the weight of a 2000' building so they could basically anything you can imagine as long as the total loads are significantly below what the cassions would have had to have carried had the Spire been built. The Spire would have involved some pretty massive loads so Related can build basically anything they want. However, we already know that what Related wants to build is the ugliest possible buildings, so don't hold your breath.