View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 1, 2017, 1:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I believe SA can have more than one pro sports team. Many people do and my friends outside of San Antonio wonder why we just have the Spurs. Unfortunately, SA has failed for decades in luring a major sports team to South Texas.

Las Vegas, the new home of our former WNBA team, has an NHL team now and the Raiders coming to town in 2020. It feels like we drop further down on the supposed "shortlist" for a franchise each year.

Austin is the fasting growing city in the US. They also have a bigger economy than San Antonio. I don't know exactly how badly this booming college town wants a major sports team. I hate being a pessimist, but I don't think we can do it on our own. And we certainly can't compete for one with ATX.

With the fallout from this deal with Toyota Field, our city's leaders cannot get it done. I hope I'm wrong but it seems we've exhausted all our options
You are not being a pessimist, you are being realistic. Austin is quickly becoming a great, vibrant city. I can't blame any pro sports league for taking a look at Austin and saying wow, this looks like a place that's on the up. Just imagine if they get the Amazon headquarters, which our leadership gave up on. I know I am probably in the minority on this, but I am embarrassed that Nelson Wolfe is trying to sue MLS. Bottom line is Austin has put itself in a position as a city that the MLS is looking to relocate there. San Antonio is begging for another pro sports team and nobody wants to come here and there are legitimate reasons why.