View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 10, 2010, 3:34 AM
Fourth and Main

Yes, the first map is the work of the regional transportation authority in their latest report. This is why I had to make my own map.

It actually connects six college/university campuses to downtown. It also connects the N.C. Governor's School and the N.C. High School for Gifted Artists to downtown. It is a party train for teens and college students, connecting them to music, movies, stores, arts, bars, etc., in downtown; though it is promoted as a connector between the Research Park, National Center for Design Innovation and the University Medical Center. It should see use all day, from residents in historic neighborhoods taking it to work to students entering downtown for fun to tourists using it to see the colonial neighborhoods to researchers using it to travel between the medical center, university campuses and two research campuses.

This is what the streetcar will look like (below) with Aperture Cinema and Brew Nerds Coffee in the background.

Source: HDR Inc.

And Winston-Salem was one of the first cities to have electric streetcars. This is the original streetcar system in Winston-Salem from the late 1800's (below).

Source: Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Public Library

Streetcar inventor Frank Sprague was an investor in Winston-Salem's West End Resort, which included luxury hotels, residences and healing springs.

Another photo of Winston-Salem with its original streetcar system. I wish it was still there. You can see rails and cobblestone streets in some places around the city.

Source: Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Public Library