View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 3:45 AM
Fourth and Main

I apologize for taking so long to reply. I was out of town often during the past few weeks and I had to make the map, which wasn't easy.

WSTA and Piedmont Triad Research Park proposed the streetcar system around 2003. The plan in 2006 was for a "free" streetcar system. I'm not sure if "free" is still in the plans? The system was expanded this year and must be in place before the East-West Expressway is closed for two years (Art Bridge Project and safety upgrades). They also wanted the plans completed this summer, to seek money.

As you can see from this June 2010 regional transit authority update, the map is too cluttered to see the routes clearly and doesn't show much of the street grid. Blue and Yellow is the streetcar system.

I spend some time earlier this week, trying to clear things up with my own map.

The routes are:

East-West: Bowman Gray University Medical Center to Winston-Salem State University.

North-South: Wake Forest University to the LJVM Sports Complex and the Clark Campbell Transit Center.

North-South: Clark Campbell Transit Center to Washington Park and the University of North Carolina School of the Arts.

It appears to be a college to downtown train and a train linking the two major employment centers in the 12 county region.

Last edited by Matthew; Aug 6, 2010 at 5:09 PM.