View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHuntington View Post
This morning's Los Angeles Times contains a remarkable story about aging concrete structures and the danger they might pose during the next major earthquake:

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-e...5748.htmlstory

Clicking on the blue "Explore the buildings" box at the lower-right corner of the main title video will take you to a thumbnail sketch and aerial photo of each of 68 possibly at-risk structures in the city. At least some of them might be old faves of some of our regular contributors here, while others might've escaped notice until now.

Surprisingly, some modernist structures from the 1950s-70s (mostly in the Valley, a few in Westwood) made the list, so some discretion is advised. But DTLA and Hollywood are target-rich neighborhoods, so have at them with gusto.

Of course, the obverse side of this coin (besides the promotion of public safety) is that time might be of the essence if any of you are interested in visiting or photographing any of these buildings. The Sylmar, Whittier Narrows and Northridge earthquakes more than decimated the warehouse district that fascinated me, so I speak from some experience. Seismic events tend not to make reservations, they arrive on our doorstep when they will.
The L.A.Times article posted by HenryHuntington is a reminder of the risk to older concrete structures from seismic activity.

Alester