View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 28, 2012, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalin_10 View Post
I hear YXE is cutting charter flights for 2012/2013 season 20-30% as they aren't able to accommodate all aircraft during the season due to being down from 6 to 4 gates as construction on the new customs areas as well as the 'pier' ramp up (Phase 1). Quite negative impact for YXE in my view but I assume YQR will most likely benefit from this blip.

What do you think? Do you think YXE should continue to offer the same amount of charter flights and work closer with airlines to spread out flight times so gate availability is more convenient or do you believe this is a necessary evil the expansion project?
I suspect it is the airlines in the driver seats. Given that large expansion they did to hard stands to park aircraft, I am surprised the airport authority has not rented a fleet of busses and simply busses passengers to from the terminal during construction. In many of the major European airports it is quite common to be bussed to the aircraft. Places like Frankfurt, Paris, London anything smaller that a 737 you usually are bussed out to, I have even had that on flights with wide-body aircraft.

Speaking of charter flights, sounds like Icelandic Airlines is going to run flights into Anchorage with a 757 next summer. They also do Seattle, Denver, Toronto, etc. They offer some very convenient and cheap connections/transfers to continental europe. If the Saskatoon airport authority went after them to serve Saskatoon that would make it a lot cheaper and easier to get to many parts of Europe.