Thread: LEGO Skylines
View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 20, 2020, 9:59 PM
Doctor, The Doctor...Fun

Reviving this thread because it was too awesome not to! Also, I'm working on a new series of LEGO skyscrapers in 1:500 scale (same as the official LEGO Empire State Building set 21046). I think this scale is a great balance between size, potential level of detail, number of pieces, and price to build. I've only ordered the parts for two of the designs I've created thus far but generally, the parts end up costing between $80 and $300 depending on the count and how many of certain pieces are used. I've also referenced the BrickLink.com parts inventory regularly while designing to ensure that all parts used are available in the colors I want and to apply colors to internal pieces that will cost less as they are more common colors of those internal parts.

So without further adieu, here are the first few designs (click thumbnail for larger image):

First up, the Willis Tower in Chicago, IL, United States. This would have been an otherwise easy build with stacked plates but I wanted a cleaner look and a lot less parts than if I had built it more traditionally. The model actually contains over 100 less pieces than the official LEGO Empire State Building set even though it's significantly bulkier and taller. I've ordered all of the parts for this one and it's mostly finished but I'm still waiting on 450 1x3 dark grey tiles to complete it. I had to order them from a seller in the Czech Republic and they unfortunately were returned because there's some confusion at the local Post Office about my address...

Next, here's the Comcast Technology Center in Philadelphia, PA, United States. This is my hometown so I'm really proud of this one! I used a lot of transparent tiles to create the facade and, in lieu of being able to recreate the 'X' beam pattern on the actual structure at this scale, used brackets to attach the glass sections to impress the internal structure on the outside. The lobby on the first few floors has also been recreated internally and is visible through the clear bricks on the ends of the building (although you can't see them in this render).

Also, fun fact - the number of pieces is my birth year :-)

Here's the third in the series, the U.S. Bank Tower in Los Angeles, CA, United States. This is a simpler build with well under 1,000 pieces. Again, I could have built up plates for more detail but that would probably put the piece count between 2-3k and I wanted to find the right balance.

And last, for now, is The Pinnacle in Guangzhou, Shangdong, China. I love the contrast on this building, both between the tan and black colors as well as between the smooth surfaces of the slopes on the corners and the grille tiles on the faces. I had a lot of fun with this one.

Feel free to make requests. I can't promise I'll get to them as each model takes quite awhile to put together but I'm always looking for the next build! I have a few more nearly finished and a bunch of WIPs so I might already be working on one you want and that could be the motivation to get me to finish!

Last edited by Doctor Octoroc; Apr 21, 2020 at 4:38 AM.