View Single Post
Old Posted May 26, 2017, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowest View Post
City Council decided to close Spadina Cres from 11th St to the Gordie Howe Bridge for security reasons at the water plant. This means folks living along there won't be able to drive to the front of their houses. Many people like to drive this area as a scenic drive. People who live south west of the city use this road if they are going to work or shop downtown. The reason they used this is that it avoids all the congestion on Circle Drive. If there is a traffic problem on Valley Road, folks in the rural area would have to go to Highway 60 then onto highway 7 to get into the city. The same with emergency vehicles responding to calls along Valley Rd area.
To say its a safety issue for example terrorism is a bunch of crap. People planning an attack on the water plant aren't just going to drive there. There is access to the plant in many ways and to the new intake in the river as well. This closure doesn't make sense.
They aren't closing the entirety of Spadina from the bridge to 11th, just the stretch from the bridge to where the Meewasin Trail ends at the access to Holiday Park (so you'd still be able to access it as far South as Schuyler for example). People will still be able to drive to the front of their houses on Spadina, just not from South of the city or from 11th/Ave H. The closed stretch will become part of the Meewasin Trail. The people that live along Spadina will probably welcome the change with there being little to no traffic now, but everyone around on Ave I/12th St will probably hate it (much like I assume they did when Ave H. was closed during construction/renovation of the water treatment plan previously).

According to the study they did in 2014 (which at that time likely had a lot of construction worker traffic with the QE plant upgrades) there were 600 cars per day during the summer along the stretch they're closing and 200 per day during the winter so it will affect some people for sure, but not a lot. It is unfortunate that it has to close though, but I imagine the 11th/Ave H closure will cause more people in the area a greater headache.