View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 2:59 PM

Some MEM news.

Allegiant is starting seasonal service in late May to Cincy, Pittsburgh, Palm Beach and...............

Des Moines, IA

Apparently Allegaint is now viewing Memphis as a destination. That hasn't always been the case. It was more focused on sending folks to places from Memphis and selling the add ons and not the other way around. If that is a successful route, this opens up MEM to becoming a base for them especially after the concourse B redo and consolidation gets done in 2021.

My one complaint about this service isn't that it's seasonal but that it starts a bit late to capture all of Memphis in May including the Music Fest and BBQ and misses Elvis Birthday week.

They need to add New Orleans and Knoxville to the mix as well

As a side benefit, successful service from a place like Des Moines could open up Kansas City, Omaha, Cleveland and a whole host of other midwest/western stations for two way leasure travel.

Hey kids let's go to Cleveland for a long weekend, lets see the Rock Hall of Fame we got screwed out of, the NFL Hall of Fame and Cedar Park for some massive coasters.

It could lead to more service from the likes of Southwest to St. Louis and or Indy

This also tells my that Mud Island needs the Aqaurium and the Tivoli Copenhagen treatment I have long pinned for.

Turn Mud Island into America's version of Tivoli complete with a top tier aquarium and Memphis has massive potential as a long weekend getaway spot for families.