View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 1:02 AM

Cathal Kelly is a great writer and as a football fan his latest column, posted an hour ago, describes the pain and suffering of Andrew Luck :
' Luck’s reasoning for his decision was sensible. Like most pro football players, he’s hurt all the time. Unlike most pro football players, he would prefer not to be.

“I’ve been stuck in this [rehab] process,” Luck said later. “I haven’t been able to live the life I want to live. It’s taken the joy out of this game........"
In order to play pro football, there must be some element of self-delusion in your personality – “Someone will get it, but not me.” Once you get it, “What are the odds that will happen twice?” And when it happens twice, “Not three times,” and so forth.

I once walked the length of a long hallway behind Joe Montana. Montana was another smart cat who played quarterback well, but did so for a long time. He managed to avoid serious injury through most of his career.

In retirement, Montana looked like a man who’d just staggered out of a car wreck – slow, creaky, an uncomfortable side-to-side gait. The former 49er was in his mid-50s at the time. He moved as though he were far older.

This is how these guys end up, even the brightest, luckiest and best protected of them.'
I assume you subscribe to the Globe and Mail. Too bad you cannot write as well as Kelly
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...is-future-and/